Friday, January 2, 2009

Starbury to Boston?

When I first heard rumors that the Celtics were interested in bringing Stephon Marbury to Boston I threw up in my mouth a few times and swallowed at least once. All the bad cliches attached to Marbury seemed to be true. The guy is a cancer in the locker room, he puts up big numbers but doesn't make his team better (hello Shareef Abdur Rahim), blah blah blah.

Then Marbury wrote a personal blog for the NY Post right before the New Year and dropped this amazing quote: "it's really not about the money but it's about the money. Feel me?" Honestly, has to be the best quote of 2008. That line is straight out of Wet Hot American Summer when Gene is trying to teach Coop "A New Way."

Click here to learn the New Way.


But I digress...back to Marbury joining the C's. I started to take a look at some of Marbury's numbers and man this guy was productive for a long time and he's only 31. I'm now coming around and if Ainge brings Marbury in to back up Rondo I'm on board. I think this is a very Belichick-ian move by Ainge. No way to lose. The C's seem to have a strong team mentality with their starting five, Eddie House and head coach Doc Rivers and I don't think any one player can rip that apart. Also, in case Marbury doesn't work out then the C's can let him go with no major salary hit. The one issue I do see is that Marbury will be coming in mid season. When Belichick has made moves for players like Marbury i.e. Corey Dillon and Randy Moss both players went through training camp and preseason with the Pats before the regular season.

Marbury will fill the role that they hoped ET Cassell would fill last season. Marbury is a veteran point guard who can create his own shot and break down defenders to get into the paint. He would serve as a huge spark for the inconsistent second unit and will free Eddie House up to just spot up and shoot. Also his ability to penetrate should take pressure off our inexperienced and undersized reserve big men Powe and Big Baby.

Call me crazy but I'm buying into Marbury's recent blog post. Here's some other excerpts from the other day:

"People who know me know I'm in the best shape of my life," Marbury wrote. ". . . Bottom line, I came to camp with the right attitude, in shape and ready to play. I didn't come to be a distraction."

"I didn't want to be a distraction for the team first and me second. I honestly came to help the team win. Real talk. I was willing to put in the work necessary to earn my starting spot and humble enough to accept coming off of the bench."

"It was unfortunate that the coach wanted to go in a different direction and didn't want me to be part of the team. I just wish it had been handled correctly from jump. I could understand the fact they didn't want Chris Duhon looking over his shoulder, but if you don't want me just pay me and let me go. I just want to play basketball."

Let's hope Steph can reach a buyout with the Knicks and that 2009 is the year Marbury proves his critics wrong helping the C's raise Banner 18! Hey, if a can of vegetables can suck its own dick why can't Marbury become a team player?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it would be a good fit! Foshizzle... Either Starbury or Bob Stone.. Rumors are he might come out of retirement....

Unknown said...

Don't be fooled, Moose. Think how silly it's gonna be with Steph's "3" head tattoo and Dennis Johnson's number hanging in the rafters. That will look ridiculous!

JoshS said...

I'm just sayin'...we're trying to win another title and our bench is pretty weak. If Doc and the Big Three think he can mesh with the team why not give it a shot. It would free up House and give us a legit option off the bench. He could also fill in at the 2 w/ Rondo on the floor giving some extra rest for Allen as well. Remember when the league though Rasheed was a cancer? Remember when the league thought Pierce was selfish? If Steph can accept a backup role and be a team player I think it's a great low risk, high reward move. Plus I think it would mean the end of Sam Cassell on the 15 man roster!